Mrs. Iced Tea Forever

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Why God?

So how does one deal with death and the grieving process? This past weekend one of the guys that was a cook in the kitchen at our wedding was killed along with 2 of his grandsons. Ross was 10 and Lavern was 8. Darrin is 7 and it was just a miracle that he wasn't killed as well. This link gives the story.

Patsy, Sam's wife, is Mom's best friend. Somehow through the pain that our family has had to deal with it is still with tears streaming down our face that yes, God is still in control. There are many hard days, nights, and moments ahead for both Patsy and Rachel, the boys' mom, as well as Darrin. Help me pray that they will find the safe and comforting arms of Jesus to carry them through the next day, days, week, month, year. Birthdays, anniversary, and the holidays are only 5-6 months away.

There are times that I don't know what to say. This is one of those times. My heart is broken and weeping that someone has to deal with this type of pain and anguish. This is the time that I question, "God why?" Sunday two weeks ago, my Sunday school was discussing the whole idea that one has to acknowledge the fact that there are times in our lives when we know that God could have intervened, but didn't. How do you handle these times?

A gal that I work with told me that it's alright to be angry with God right at first, but one has to move on from being angry to acceptance somehow. Forgiveness is the key, but that takes time. I think that I really agree with her. There have been so many things that have happened over the past few weeks that I've really had to deal with this issue on.

I Samuel 1:18 says, "And she said, Let thine handmaid find grace in thy sight. So the woman went her way, and did eat, and her countenance was no more sad." Here Hannah so desperatly wanted a child. But she placed her dreams, desires, and wants into God's control. Then she went away and made a conscious decision that she wasn't going to worry about it any longer. Because her God was bigger than she and He could see the whole picture. This hit me so hard because how often do I think I know what is best for me and those that I love. Then when circumstances don't happen the way I think they should, then I whine, complain, and drag my feet with God.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My heart goes out to you and the family. I lost my mother in an accident, and the heart cries out for understanding. The first year is the roughest, and sometimes it feels like rolls and rolls of angry and sorrow wash over you. BUT God is faithful, and as time moves on, memories heal us. A counselor once told me, "When a parent dies we grieve for our past & childhood, a spouse we grieve for the present, and in the loss of children we mourn for the future" Lean on Jesus, and in His arms find comfort.

     
  • At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jewel, Jewel....I'm so sorry to finally find your site only to hear of such sad news. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers, and their family, as you all deal with a tragic loss.

    I had asked on Tom's site a couple of times if you had one of your own. Glad to see that you have entered the Blog world. You can also catch up on me at mine. I need to spiff it up a bit - it's a Xanga site and apparently has a little different lie from this one. Not sure which format I like better. So I'll just keep developing it.

    Keep in touch!
    Your cuz, Ed

     
  • At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey there, I'll echo Ed's first paragraph. Kind of reminds me of when my uncle died in a farm accident. I still miss him once in a while.

    Thanks for the link, by the way.

    The Baritone

     
  • At 10:25 AM, Blogger Steven Ortiz said…

    http://www.watchtower.org/library/dg/article_01.htm

    I think just about everyone has lost a loved one - or will lose a loved one - at some point. And it's hard not to question God when things like this happen. But while some may reason that God caused the loss directly, the Bible teaches something different. Once we understand why God permits suffering, then we can truly have hope, and that's something that no one will ever be able to take from us.

    I encourage you to read the article whose link I've provided, because like me, I'm sure it will help you as well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home